- Student Life
- The News Room
- About SCCC
Certificate of Residence
All Certificates of Residence need to be submitted to the Student Business Office (Elston 219).
Summer 2013 Certificates can be dated and turned in from April 4, 2013, through
July 18, 2013.
Fall 2013 Certificates can be dated and turned in from July 5, 2013, through
October 18, 2013.
Students registering for credit courses at SCCC are required to document their county of residence since counties partially fund student enrollment at New York State community colleges. In order to qualify for resident tuition, you must have resided in New York State for the past twelve months, and you are required to provide county residence documentation for the last six months. All New York State students must complete the Application for Certificate of Residence, Form B-80, and students from outside Schenectady County must submit Form B-81 obtained from their county treasurer (see instructions below). The Student Business Office, Elston 219, is responsible for collecting the Certificate of Residence from students.
The Application for Certificate of Residence, Form B-80, is available in PDF format, for which you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You can obtain Adobe Acrobat Reader from the following source:
After installing, or if you already have Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on the following link:
Instructions for Certificate of Residence
Every student registering at the College who has been a legal resident of New York State for at least one year prior to the current registration must submit proof of residence at the time of registration, by mail or in person. Form B-80 is the application for a Certificate of Residence. Registrations submitted without a valid Certificate of Residence or the appropriate identification will be returned.
1) Schenectady County residents: Complete the A Schenectady County Affidavit (or Affirmation) and Application for Certificate of Residence,” Form B-80, and have it notarized. You will need to provide an acceptable form of proof of residency with your application. Acceptable proof includes: a copy of your New York State Driver's License, utility bill, credit card statement, bank statement, Social Services statement, voter registration card, Social Security statement or W-2 Form. All proof or residency must show names, a Schenectady County address, and be dated six or more months prior to the date of submission. Submit the Certificate of Residence and proof of residency when you make you bill payment at the Student Business Office, Elston 219.
2) New York State residents from other than Schenectady County: Complete Form B-80 and turn it in to your county's treasurer. You will receive a Form B-81 from the treasurer. Submit Form B-81 to Schenectady County Community College when you make your bill payment at the Student Business Office, Elston 219.
Some Area County Treasurers:
ALBANY County Treasurer, 112 State Street, Albany, NY 12207; Phone - 447-7070
RENSSELAER County Treasurer, 1600 7th Avenue, Troy, NY 12180; Phone: 270-2745
SARATOGA County Treasurer, Municipal Center, Ballston Spa, NY 12020; Phone: 884-4724
FULTON County Treasurer, Johnstown, NY 12095; Phone: 736-5580
MONTGOMERY County Treasurer, County Annex, Fonda, NY 12068; Phone: 853-8175
3) New York State residents who have lived in more than one county during the past six months must complete Form B-80 for each county in which they have resided and proceed as indicated above in items 1) and 2) of these instructions.
4) Non-residents of New York State (including persons living less than one year in New York State) are charged out-of-state tuition and do not need to submit proof of residence at registration.
5) All foreign students not on permanent visas are classified as out-of-state residents and pay out-of-state tuition.
6) For most counties, including Schenectady County, the Certificate of Residence will remain valid for 12 months.
Read All About It!
Interested in possibly applying to SCCC? See our Viewbook. Want to know more about academics and being a student? Try our Catalog. These publications and more are on our Publications Page.