- Student Life
- The News Room
- About SCCC
Math Lab | Tutor Services | Tutoring FAQ | Accounting & CIS Tutor Labs
Developmental Courses | Faculty and Staff | Placement Testing
Learning Center & Writing Lab
The Learning Center in 523 Elston Hall provides academic assistance to students who need extra help with reading, writing and study skills. Assistance is available through individualized instruction by professional and peer tutors, computer assisted instruction, study groups in content areas, and workshops. The Learning Center also serves as a writing lab to all students who need assistance in written assignments including research papers. For further information, contact Siu Ng, Learning Center Coordinator at (518) 381-1249, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learning Center & Writing Lab Hours Spring 2013
523 Elston Hall
|Monday||8:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Tuesday||8:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Wednesday||8:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Thursday||8:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Friday||8:00 am – 4:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am – 3:00 pm|
Computers are available for word processing and using educational software such as MyWritingLab, MyReadingLab, and MyPsychLab. Adaptive computer technology (such as the Kurzweil 3000) is available for students with disabilities.
Students can receive assistance on a walk-in basis or by appointment for half-hour sessions. Areas where students may receive help include the following:
Reading and Study Skills Assistance
- time management
- textbook reading
- study skills such as note-taking and test-taking strategies
- college survival skills
The Writing Lab works with writers at all levels of experience: freshmen, ESL, and honors students as well. This lab is not a “remedial center,” but a space for all Schenectady County Community College students, regardless of experience or ability. We help students become better writers in the following ways:
- Analyzing assignment requirements
- Providing feedback at all stages of the writing process: narrowing a topic, generating ideas, constructing a thesis statement, organizing ideas, revising, and preparing a final draft
- Establishing a dialogue about drafts and discussing strategies for improvement
- Addressing and developing strategies for grammatical and punctuation issues within context of the writing itself
- Encouraging students to develop self-editing and proofreading skills
- Providing resources to improve writing skills
- Advising students on research papers and MLA and APA documentation
The Writing Lab does NOT proofread or line edit papers for students, nor does it grade assignments or discuss grades.
English as a Second Language
- improving the communication skills of ESL students
Learning Center Tutoring
- tutoring in various courses
- tutoring schedule
- workshops covering topics such as note taking, math anxiety, textbook reading, and test strategies
- workshop schedule
Read All About It!
Interested in possibly applying to SCCC? See our Viewbook. Want to know more about academics and being a student? Try our Catalog. These publications and more are on our Publications Page.