- Student Life
- The News Room
- About SCCC
Early Childhood Programs
Early Childhood A.A.S.
The Early Childhood A.A.S. program’s role is to guide individuals in acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to foster the development and constructive education of young children. The program strives to model and promote high quality early childhood education in the community.
The Early Childhood program enables graduates to:
- Demonstrate the proficiency, knowledge, and skills necessary to promote healthy development of young children;
- Demonstrate the proficiency of knowledge and skills necessary to provide an appropriate education for young children ages birth to 8 years;
- Be responsive and supportive to those community agencies serving young children and their families, and
- Demonstrate professionalism in the area of Early Childhood Education.
As of Jan. 1, 2010, all students enrolled in ECH 131 Early Childhood Field Instruction and Seminar I and ECH 231 Field Instruction and Seminar II will need to supply the following before entering the field:
- A notarized Criminal Conviction Statement OR
- A signed “I Will” statement to uphold the NAEYC Code of Ethics and SCCC Early Childhood Professional Behaviors OR
- Medical evidence of their ability to work with children and a negative TB result.
Early Childhood Certificate
This Early Childhood Certificate is designed to prepare students who wish to work with children from birth through 8 years of age in a variety of early childhood environments. The courses provide an understanding of the developmental needs of children along with specific skills for working with children. In addition, there is a work experience in which students spend eight hours per week working directly with children in a supervised setting. This program can also serve as a “stepping-stone” for those who want to pursue an A.A.S. or A.S. degree in a related field.
Read All About It!
Interested in possibly applying to SCCC? See our Viewbook. Want to know more about academics and being a student? Try our Catalog. These publications and more are on our Publications Page.