- Student Life
- The News Room
- About SCCC
Gateway Montessori Preschool
The Gateway Montessori Philosophy
"A child’s work is to create the person that he/she will become." --Maria Montessori
At Gateway Montessori we believe that the child accomplishes self-construction through purposeful movement, explorations, and discovery of environment. Children must be given freedom to use their inborn powers to develop physically, intellectually, and spiritually.
"Avoiding war is the work of politics, establishing peace is the work of education." --Maria Montessori
In the Gateway Montessori we strive for a peaceful learning environment. We teach peace skill through conflict resolution and study the world and its people. We believe that through understanding we can make peace with others who are different from us.
"Our goal is not so much the imparting of knowledge as the unveiling and developing of spiritual energy." --Maria Montessori
The teachers at Gateway Montessori guide the children to self discovery. Our Philosophy Supports Best Practices:
- Child centered environment
- Responsive prepared environment
- Focus on individual development and progress
- Hands-on learning
- Spontaneous activity
- Self-motivated learning
- Freedom with limits
- Mixed age grouping
- Family/home-like environment
- Global education
- Our program is a laboratory preschool located in the Gateway Building on the SCCC campus.
- The curriculum demonstrates best practices in Early Childhood Education.
- A kindergarten curriculum is offered.
- The school runs 2˝ hours per day for five days per week and follows the SCCC academic calendar.
- The Montessori classroom is a multi-age environment; we invite children ages 2˝ to 6 years to join us.
- We maintain active parent communication and involvementthrough parent meetings, newsletters, emails and conferences.
To learn more about Montessori Education, please visit the American Montessori Society here.
Gateway Montessori Education Team
"The child is truly a miraculous being, and this should be felt deeply by the educator." --Maria Montessori
Debra Ahola (Deb)
Deb became a Montessori Directress in 1986 and taught for 10 years in a variety of Montessori environments. She holds an M.S. degree in Special Education, a Permanent NYS Teaching Certification and is a Registered Dietician. She is currently a Professor at SCCC teaching Early Childhood, Psychology and Nutrition courses.
Tamara Calhoun (Tammy)
Tammy holds an M.S. degree in Elementary Education and NYS Permanent Teaching Certification. She has been educating children from infancy to adulthood since 1984 and served as an Educational Administrator since 1988. She is currently a Professor at SCCC teaching Early Childhood and Teacher Education courses.
For more information about the Gateway Montessori Preschool, please contact:
Tour Gateway Montessori Preschool!
Take a look at the Gateway Montessori Preschool through our classroom photo tour.