Getting the Credit You Deserve

Many students who come to the College have accumulated college credits through Advanced Placement (AP), College in the High School programs, or previous college experience. As you plan your program at Schenectady, it will help you to know how you can apply credit for courses taken elsewhere, or how you can be granted credit for other learning experiences you may have had. The following overview should answer your questions.

First and foremost, we need your official college or AP or CLEP transcript in order to grant transfer credit.
If you are applying for admission to the College, please request your official transcript(s) be sent to our Admissions Office. If you are already an SCCC student, have your transcript(s) mailed directly to the Registrar’s Office. We cannot grant credit for AP or College in the High School courses from a high school transcript. With the exception of peak registration or vacation periods, you should receive an evaluation of your transfer credit within two weeks of receipt of your transcript. If you took College in the High School courses from SCCC, we already have your records. You do not need to do anything other than tell your advisor about them when you register at New Student Registration.

Secondly, there are limits to the number of credits that can be transferred in.
There is a 30 credit residency requirement for all associate degrees. This means that you must take 30 credits of coursework applicable to your program at SCCC, in the classroom or via our online courses, in order to get a degree. Likewise, you must earn 15 credits at SCCC to earn a certificate.

Credit from Colleges and Universities

Transfer credit may be accepted for coursework taken at other regionally accredited academic institutions if it is applicable to your major and has a grade of “C” or higher. Courses taken at institutions of higher learning lacking such regional accreditation (including degree-granting proprietary institutions) may also be accepted if those courses are of equivalent content and quality as determined by the appropriate department Dean.

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
CLEP examinations provide an opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of examinations in undergraduate college courses. SCCC is a CLEP testing center. Test dates are available in the Advisement Center, Elston 223. Be certain to check if the exam you planning to take is accepted at SCCC before you sign up for the exam! Please request that the official score is sent to the Academic Services Office at the College. SCCC accepts American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations for granting credit.

Credit from Previous Experience
Registered, matriculated students may earn credit based on previous experience for individual courses required in their program of study. A common example of this is a student in the aviation program who has his/her pilot’s license. If, after talking with your advisor you think you have applicable experience and you are interested in getting credit for it, please make an appointment with your department dean.

Appealing the Evaluation
While most evaluations of college credit are straightforward, not all are. Course titles are not always clear, requirements are not clearly understood and mistakes are sometimes made. If you disagree with your credit evaluation, there is an appeal process. Please call or e-mail Pamela Enser, Assistant Registrar, at
518-381-1388 or with your questions or concerns.

If it was a simple oversight, a correction will be made immediately and a new evaluation will be sent to you. If we need additional information about the course, you will be requested to get a course description for the course in question before any credit is re-evaluated. A new evaluation will be done within a reasonable period of time and you will be notified of department Dean for further evaluation.

Transfer students coming from another SUNY institution who have gone through the above processes and still have concerns may appeal to our campus transfer representative. Please follow this link for more information:

Read All About It!

Interested in possibly applying to SCCC? See our Viewbook. Want to know more about academics and being a student? Try our Catalog. These publications and more are on our Publications Page.