- Student Life
- The News Room
- About SCCC
Educational Opportunity Program
Elston Hall 222
Schenectady County Community College, State University of New York’s Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides college access, academic, and modest financial aid for students who are disadvantaged and attending college for the first.
You must be:
- A New York state resident for 12 months prior to admission
- A first-time, full-time college student
- A graduate of a NYS high school with an 80 or below cumulative GPA
- An economically disadvantage student (see income guidelines)
- A transfer student previously enrolled in EOP/HEOP at former college
- Qualify academically and economically for the program.
For program qualifications and eligibility, please visit www.suny.edu/student/academic_eop.cfm. Eligibility is determined when a student is accepted to college as a freshman or a transfer student from an EOP, HEOP, or SEEK program. Student must be enrolled on a full time basis (12 credits or more). If eligible, students may receive an EOP award for up to six semesters at a two-year college.
A high school transcript or GED Score is necessary to determine academic eligibility.
For eligibility requirements and to download an application, click here.
Questions concerning income guidelines should be directed to the Financial Aid Office located in Elston Hall Room 222 or (518) 381-1352 or 1354.
Transfer StudentsStudents may be considered for admission into the program if they were enrolled in a, College Discovery, EOP, HEOP (Higher Educational Opportunity Program), or SEEK (Search for Education, Elevation and Knowledge) or a similar academic and financial support program at a previous college. A Transfer Verification Form is available in the EOP office and must be completed for all students transferring to SCCC from a previous institution in which they were enrolled in EOP. Transferring students attending SCCC need to have this form turned in to make their application complete.
Students accepted into the Educational Opportunity Program receive special tutoring and academic assistance to aid in their success at SCCC. Special advisement, educational programs, and counseling (career, transfer and personal) are all services provided to EOP participants. Please see below for a complete list of program services available to eligible EOP participants.
- A three to five day mandatory Summer Orientation for first time students enrolling in the Fall (Usually held in Mid-August)
- Semester orientations for returning students
- Academic assistance and support services
- Regular monitoring of student progress
- Professional Tutorial Services for many academic courses
- Academic counseling and advisement
- Career counseling referral
- Academic transfer advisement
- Referral and assistance services
- Stipend disbursement
- Mandatory EOP meetings for program updates
- Honors Program
- Scholarship assistance
- Brief Personal counseling and referrals for outside assistance
- EOP New Student Orientations
- Educational Workshops
- Recognition and Academic Achievement Awards Ceremony
- Completed EOP Application
- Written Essay
- A one-on-one interview with EOP staff (a phone interview will be considered for students who live more than 50 miles) from the College
- Financial Documents from prior year
EOP MeetingsAll new and returning EOP students need to attend a group meeting at the beginning of each semester as well as schedule an individual meeting with the Program Director. In addition, the EOP Office works to recommend educational and developmental workshops for participants throughout the semester and we are always seeking feedback from students on the programs offered. If you have ideas or suggestions for future workshops, please contact the EOP office located in Elston Hall 222. Students who are ineligible for EOP funding will be directed to other support services on campus.
For questions about our services, please contact the EOP office at (518) 836- 2818 or 381-1279.
Read All About It!
Interested in possibly applying to SCCC? See our Viewbook. Want to know more about academics and being a student? Try our Catalog. These publications and more are on our Publications Page.