- Student Life
- The News Room
- About SCCC
Returning Adult Students
Returning Adult Students - Let us help you take your education to the next degree!
Welcome to SCCC! This is an exciting time for you as you begin or come back to finish your college degree. We hope that we can help you take advantage of all the wonderful opportunities and services that SCCC offers.
Why Choose SCCC?
Adult Students will find they are not alone at SCCC. Over a third of our students are over the age of 25 with diverse educational backgrounds ranging from first-generation college students to those with previous degrees looking to update their skills.
We also understand that many returning adults have other life and family commitments and your time is valuable. We’ll help you determine the best course of action to meet your goals whether you’re looking to update your skills, complete a certificate or degree program, or you simply enjoy learning new things.
Flexible Schedules and Many Programs to Choose From
- Certificate and Associate’s degree programs as well as non-credit options for the lifelong learner.
- Flexible Course Schedules including extensive evening, Saturday and
- Evening hours in many offices, including the Advising Center, Registration and Financial Aid, to fit your busy schedule.
- Free application for admissions.
Convenient Locations & Free CDTA Ridership
- Choose from our Main Campus or Center City locations in downtown Schenectady or our Albany site.
- All students currently enrolled in a certificate or degree program and who pay the activity fee get free CDTA bus transportation along any of CDTA’s Capital District routes 7 days a week.
Affordable Tuition and Fees
- SCCC offers high quality education at an affordable cost and consistently ranks among the top New York State colleges in cost effectiveness per student.
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.
Career and Transfer Resources
- Career and Transfer Services are available online and in the Opportunity Zone (Elston Hall, Room 221- I) on a walk-in basis from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. daily or by appointment.
- Online Career Management powered by College Central Network.
- On campus employment opportunities for students.
- Learning Center and Writing Lab
- Math Lab
- Tutor Services
- TRIO Program
- Educational Opportunity Program
- YWCA Children’s Center and The Gateway Montessori program offer on campus childcare.
- Capital District Child Care Coordinating Council offers additional resources to help you choose the childcare that’s right for you.
- The Restart Club offers you a unique on-line support network accessed through Facebook and is made up of a diverse group of members that vary in age, marital status, parenthood, GPA, majors and work experience.
- Find others who share your unique interests. From Hospitality to Science, SCCC offers diverse student clubs to help you get more involved on campus and in the community.
- An on campus contact, Dawn Jones - (518) 381-1334, will help to answer all of your questions and help you plan for your next steps.
- Wellness and Support Services including ADA Transition Services and the Student Veterans Office.
- Free membership at the Schenectady YMCA Center City location with your Student Activity Fee as well as Athletic Teams.
Read All About It!
Interested in possibly applying to SCCC? See our Viewbook. Want to know more about academics and being a student? Try our Catalog. These publications and more are on our Publications Page.