Pulled Pork Street Tacos
Guest Chef A.J. Presents:
Miss Sydney’s Earthquake Eddie’s Pulled Pork Street Tacos, White Cheddar Mayo and Arugula Slaw with Pickled Fennel
Ingredients for the Pickled Fennel:
(Do this 2 weeks in advance so it has time to cure)
- 2 Whole Fennel
- 1- 12oz jar of sliced hot banana pepper rings
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup water
- Red Food Coloring as desired
- 2- 16 oz. Glass Mason Jars
Method for Pickled Fennel:
- Drain the pepper rings in a strainer over a bowl and set the juice aside.
- While the pepper rings are straining, cut the top of the fennel, separating the stalks from the bulbs so that it can lay flat on a mandolin.
- Slice the fennel in paper thin rings (like you would an onion) and place in a bowl.
- Take the drained pepper rings and mix it with the fennel and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pepper ring juice, water, and sugar. Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the red food coloring to the juice mixture to create the desired redness you’d like.
- Divide the fennel and pepper ring mixture between the two mason jars. Pack down in the jars firmly.
- Pour the juice mixture over the fennel in each jar evenly until fully submerged.
- Seal each jar with a lid and place in the refrigerator. This is a cold pickling process, and you should ALWAYS use glass jars. It must stay chilled at all times. The shelf life is about 2 months with refrigeration.
Ingredients for the Street Tacos:
(Yield about 2 dozen)
- 5 lbs. of Pork Butt
- 1 jar of Miss Sydney’s Earthquake Eddies Hot Stuff
- 1 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
- Ortega Gluten Free Taco Shells
Ingredients for the White Cheddar Mayo:
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 cups of mayo
- 1 1/2 cups of firmly packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of firmly packed shredded Monterey jack
Ingredients for the Arugula Slaw:
- 2- 5 oz. containers of organic arugula
- The prepared jars of pickled fennel
- 1 jar of Miss Sydney’s BB’S Sweet Vinaigrette
Method for the Street Tacos:
- Start by cooking the pork butt in a crock pot on high for approximately 5-6 hours or until fork tender.
- While the pork butt is cooking, in a small bowl combine the Earthquake Eddies Hot Stuff and brown sugar and set aside.
- Also at this time you can make the cheddar mayo for the tacos.
- Assemble the cheddar mayo by combining the cream cheese, mayo, sharp cheddar and Monterey jack until well blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- At about the 5th or 6th hour, drain and remove the pork butt from the crockpot and let it cool to lukewarm.
- Shred the pork butt a few pieces at a time into a separate bowl and combine it with the Earthquake Eddies Hot Stuff and brown sugar mixture.
- At this point in a small bowl toss the arugula with the vinaigrette and the pickled fennel and set aside.
Method for Street Taco Assembly:
- Toast your taco shells and set aside.
- Start by placing a layer of slaw in the shell.
- Slather on the cheddar mayo.
- Then top with the pulled pork.
- Serve warm and enjoy!