340g granulated sugar
680g. cold water
1 small stick of cinnamon
3 whole cloves
Peel of one orange
226g unsalted butter, room temperature
227 g sugar
6 eggs at room temperature
142g AP flour
142g fine semolina (durum)
12 grams baking powder
112g almonds, blanched and finely ground in the food processor (you may add some of the flour while pulsing)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x12 inch pan with a thin coat of shortening.
- For the syrup, combine 340g sugar with the water, cinnamon, cloves, and orange peel. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and cool.
- For the cake, beat the butter in the mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth. Add 227g of sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, semolina, baking powder, and almonds. Add to the batter and mix in just until combined.
- Stir in the vanilla and brandy.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until springy.
- Cut the cake (still in the pan) into 4″ squares (6 squares) and then cut these in half to make 12 triangles. Ask your instructor for help if you are not sure how to do this.
- Pour the cooled syrup over the hot cake and allow it to cool completely.
- Garnish with toasted sliced almonds, pomegranate seeds, and whipped cream.