Yield: 1 - 8" Cake + 4 Minis
8 eggs, separated
200g superfine sugar
120g cake flour (sifted)
10X sugar; as needed
Method for Ladyfingers:
Beat egg whites until stiff while gradually adding the sugar (begin adding the sugar at the soft peak stage). Beat the yolks separately until ribbons form and fold them into the whites. Sift in the flour and then fold until ingredients are just mixed. Put the mixture in a pastry bag with a large round tip and pipe out three to four inch long "fingers" onto a lightly greased parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and bake in a 350º degree oven (300º if using a convection oven) for 8 to 10 minutes.
Ingredients for Mascarpone Filling:
1.134kg ½& ½
142g of superfine sugar
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
113g superfine sugar
Method for Pastry Cream:
- Place ½ & ½ in 3 quart heavy pan, add sugar and vanilla. Heat to just boiling. Remove from stove.
- Beat eggs well with a whip. In separate bowl, blend sugar and cornstarch. Add to eggs and mix well.
- Temper the eggs with some of the hot milk mixture. Add eggs to remaining milk mixture and return to heat. Cook over medium heat until boiling. Continue to cook until all the starch is cooked out. Remove from stove and add 14g butter, blend well. Place in stainless steel hotel pan, cover with plastic wrap and chill.
454g mascarpone cheese
Whipped cream for topping:
113g of heavy cream
Method for Filling and Topping:
- Place 2 ½ cups of prepared pastry cream in a bowl and flavor with brandy
- Stir mascarpone until creamy. Stir the pastry cream and then gradually add it to the mascarpone.
- In separate bowl beat heavy cream with 24g sugar and vanilla until it is the consistency of thick shaving cream. Set aside.
To Assemble Cake you will need 2 cups prepared espresso coffee mixed with 14g brandy
- Put down a 10 inch cake circle lined with parchment. Place an 8 inch ring mold over it. Line the circumference with acetate to overlap by 1 inch or so. This is where you will build your tiramisu.
- Gently dip lady fingers into espresso and brandy mixture. Line sides and bottom of the ring mold with lady fingers. (take care not to over soak them)
- Spread ½ of the filling mixture over the lady fingers.
- Repeat procedure ending with filling.
- Pipe or spread the whipped cream over the top. Dust top of cream with cocoa powder or shaved dark chocolate. Chill before serving.
- Portion by marking into 12 servings.