Financial Aid for Transfer Students
Financial Aid is an extremely important part of the transfer process. Some students have reported back that they actually paid about the same at a private college as they have at another SUNY college because of the amount of financial aid they received from the private college. Reminder that these scholarships are given to excellent students, so keep your grades up!
Steps for the best financial aid package:
- Complete your FAFSA early (the January before you will transfer is a good time to apply but the FAFSA form is available as early as October.) Indicate all of the colleges that you are considering so that the colleges will receive your information. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa
- Determine whether you also need to complete a College Profile (CSS) (some colleges require this in addition to the FAFSA).
- Ask the colleges you are considering if there is a separate financial aid application for their school.
- Ask the financial aid office of the colleges that you are considering if there are any other scholarships that you are eligible for.
- Check with SUNY Schenectady's Foundation Office to determine if they offer any scholarships for transfer students. Apply for all of them.
- Review various scholarships for community college students at FASTWEB.