The mission of the Science A.S. Biology Concentration degree program is to prepare students for transfer to a baccalaureate program in Biology by providing foundational coursework in biological, chemical and physical sciences and mathematics.
This program prepares graduates to:
Goal I: Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental biological, chemical and physical sciences concepts and principles.
- Demonstrate the ability to use the scientific method to develop and test hypotheses
- Explain biological and physical phenomena using scientific concepts and principles
- Analyze and solve quantitative problems in science using mathematical reasoning and representation
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical and cultural influences on the development of biological sciences
Goal II: Demonstrate an understanding of the methods of research and analysis.
- Perform laboratory experiments following a written protocol
- Utilize appropriate scientific instruments and technology to make accurate measurement and to collect data
Goal III: Demonstrate effective oral and written communications skills.
- Maintain appropriate laboratory and technical documentation
- Write a laboratory report that accurately represents experimental outcomes and utilizes appropriate literature resources and citations
- Prepare and deliver oral and/or poster presentations of scientific and technical information and experimental results
See the degree requirements and suggested course sequence.Degree Plan