Tips for what to do before, during, and after a test.
Watch the Test Taking video (5 minutes)
Before the Test
- Studying begins on the first day of class. Don’t wait!
- Utilize study strategies
- Follow the 5 Day Study Plan
- Make sure you are well-rested and have had a nutritious meal.
During the Test
- Arrive early and take a moment to relax
- Listen carefully to the directions given by the instructor.
- Read the test directions and questions very carefully and make note of important details.
- Write notes on the test of things you need to remember (e.g. formulas, equations, dates, lists, etc.).
- Use your time wisely. Make sure to leave enough time for questions that will take you awhile to complete.
- Answer easy questions first, and then come back to the questions you’re unsure of later. Make sure to mark incomplete questions so you remember to return to them later.
- Answer all questions, even if you’re running out of time and can’t answer all of them fully. You may earn partial credit for partially completed answers.
- Review your answers.
After the Test
- When the test is returned, view the test as a way to gather feedback on your learning.
- Reflect on your test performance. How effective were your study strategies? What could you do differently next time?
- Take note of what types of questions you struggled with (e.g., multiple choice, essays, etc.).
- If you earned a low score, schedule a meeting with your instructor to determine how you can improve on the next test.